High Street No. 31

Site of No.31 High Street.

This small site measuring 39 feet east to west and 27 feet north to south now lies under the Chatsworth Road at its junction with High Street. The piece of land has been traced back to 1702 when it was held by Mary Geering of Middlesex. It then descended through the Geering, Buckeridge and Penfold families until the 19th century when John Penfold held the property. John Penfold died on 3rd January 1821 and his will left the property to his son Edward Penfold together with the house erected on it in circa 1774 by John Joanes. After Edward Penfold’s death the property passed to his only child and heiress Mary Roberts (late Mary Penfold, spinster) the wife of Charles Roberts, who conveyed it to Harry Newland Esquire on 14th April 1838 for £156. The property then descended through the Newland family until 28th June 1887 when Robert Newland’s will bequeathed it to William Sayres Barker of Sompting, yeoman, his trustee. On 21st February 1888 it was conveyed by Barker to George Jonathan Mills for £270. Mills died in 1903 and his personal representatives conveyed the property to the Borough of Worthing for £315 for the purpose of street improvements. At the time the property adjoined a row of ramshackle buildings and cottages at their eastern end in Cooks Row (see 1875 OS map below with No.31 High Street shown outlined in pink and Cooks Row buildings  outlined in green).





















Part of the 1875 OS map showing No.31 High Street (outlined in pink)

adjoining the buildings in Cooks Row (outlined in green).



By circa 1904 all the buildings in Cooks Row south of the Cannon Brewery and No.31 High Street had been demolished and Chatsworth Road was formed over their sites.


Occupants List for No.31 High Street.  

c 1774 - ?    John Joanes

?                John Shearsmith

1818 – 1826 Thomas Rice

1828           Benjamin Hogsflesh

1836 – 1846 Frederick Joanes

1850           empty

1851           Leonard Legg

1861 – 1862 Caleb Hoad – labourer

1866           Stephen Streeter

1870 – 1888 Mr W.Grinstead – storekeeper

1889 – 1893 Mr R.Ham – painter

1894 – 1895 Nurse Ham [Nony Cottage]

1896           empty

1897 – 1903 J.Bowley – fruiterer.