High Street Nos 23-25

D3.3 Nos. 25 & 23 High Street.

These two houses were located on an ancient enclosed freehold piece of land held of Lancing manor and were built originally as one property for John Hickox, fisherman of Worthing. It was described in a mortgage of January 1803 as the New Lodging House, lately erected. The will of John Hickox left the property to Phoebe his widow and after her death (she died in 1800) to his son John and daughter Phoebe. By 1812 John Hickox (the son) was declared a bankrupt and the property was acquired by William Copeland along with No.27 High Street adjoining on the north.


The single property can be seen on part of the 1852 OS map below (outlined in pink) with the property’s boundaries outlined in green.














Part of the 1852 OS map showing the single building outlined in pink.


The property was still recorded as a single house until 1862 when the rate book for that year indicates two houses on the site which are later referred to as Nos.25 and 23 High Street.













A plan extracted from a 1926 conveyance shows how the original

building was divided into Nos. 23 & 25 High Street.



These two houses can be seen in a photograph which is illustrated in Sub-section D3 showing a sign ‘Evelyn’ (ladies hairdresser) above the entrance to No.25.


The properties were finally conveyed to the Borough of Worthing on 6th may 1965 and were demolished in 1969.


Occupants List for No.25.

Before 1812 Probably John Hickox

1818            John Heather

1819            Johnson Lamprell

1820 – 1821 ----  Pritchard

1822            Edwards & Webberley

1824 – 1828 James Webberley

1838           Thomas Baker

1850 – 1875 James Webberley – linen draper

1876 – 1877 Empty

1878 – 1895 Mr A.Goatcher - dealer

1896 – 1920 C.Grinyer – furniture dealer

1921 – 1926 Henry Grinyer – furniture dealer

1927 – 1935 W.H.Simpson – fruiterer, florist and greengrocer

1936 – 1940 Evelyn – ladies hairdresser

1936 – 1969 Arthur G.Moss – ladies hairdresser


Occupants List for No.23.

1862            ----- Mathews

1866 – 1877 Thomas James Aldridge – printer, glazier etc.

1878            Empty

1879 – 1895 Mr A.Goatcher – dealer

1896 – 1897 Mr G.Bungard – umbrella maker

1898 – 1907 Mr Evans – haberdasher

1908 – 1913 J.Young – haberdasher

1914 – 1915 F.H.Baker – pork butcher

1916 – 1923 F.H.Baker – tea rooms

1924 – 1927 Frederick Baker – tea rooms

1928 – 1929 Empty

1930 – 1932 A.B.Gaydon Cycles

1933 – 1936 W.H.Simpson – fruiterer, florist and greengrocer

1937 – 1939 Robert Camp – landscape architect

1940           Robert Camp – greengrocer

1949 – 1953 Gaydon’s Cycles

1956 – 1960 Millers – cycle agents

1961 – 1969 J.H.Miller (Cycles) Ltd. – cycle agents.