High Street No. 21

D3.4 No. 21 High Street.


This property was built on an ancient freehold piece of land held of Lancing manor. On 2nd November 1778 the Lancing manor court rolls record that James Denyer held freely of the manor ‘a messuage or tenement, formerly Campions since Downers’. On 10th December 1778 another entry records the property was held by James Denyer which he recently purchased and it was described as ‘late Backshalls’.


By 1786 James Denyer had died and Mary his widow was admitted to the property. By the end of the 18th century Mary Denyer had divided up the property and 4 additional cottages had been built on it facing, what was later developed as Market Street. However,  a piece of land at the High Street end of the property was acquired by Henry Botting, a butcher of Worthing, who built a house on it by 1810. It was this

property which became No. 21 High Street.































A photograph of Nos. 21 – 25 High Street in December 1968 clearly showing

Millers Cycle shop (No. 21) on the corner of Market Street and High Street.



The property survived until 1970 when it was demolished for the Guildbourne Centre project.


Occupants List.

1810 – 1826 Henry Botting – butcher

1836 – 1851 George Cortis – butcher

1861 – 1862 Joseph Steele – grocer

1866 – 1872 Mrs Maria Steele

1872 – 1883 J.Amoore – butcher

1884 – 1910 Charles Amoore

1919 – 1927 Arthur Smurthwaite – cycle dealer

1928 – 1951 A.B.Gaydon – cycle dealer

1932 – 1936 W.Cullum

1937 – 1940 Rupert Edward Cullum

1936 – 1938 Mrs A.Ronaldson

1956 – 1969 J.H.Miller (Cycles) Ltd – cycle agents.



RK