High Street No. 13

D4.3 No.13 High Street.





























Part of the 1852 OS map showing No. 13 High Street out-lined in pink.









































Illustration taken from 19th deeds for No.13 High Street.


The piece of land for these two houses was sold to James Johnson by Edward Ogle on 20th July 1810. However, the Phillip’s map of 1814 shows no buildings on the site and in 1819 James Johnson sold the land to John Nickles. In January 1821 Nickles sold the land to W.P.Pescott together with its recently built house which was used as a lodging house. It is not clear from documentary sources available whether both houses were built at the same time, but it does seem likely. Originally the houses were numbered 13 & 15 High Street but by 1838 were known as Palmerston House, formerly 13 & 15 High Street, but then used as one building. They continued as such as No. 13 until the 1920s and were then once more utilised as two properties. However, as the warehouse had been built on the north and numbered 15 High Street, No.13 then became 13 and 13A. Although these two properties are recorded in Directories until 1960 they were sold to Worthing Corporation on 19th June 1959 and were eventually demolished for the Guildbourne Centre.


Occupants List.

No.13.

1804 – 1810 Edward Ogle – land only

1810 – 1819 James Johnson – land only

1819 – 1821 John Nickles - land only

1821 – 1862 William Penn Pescott – houses built on land – Palmerston House by                   1838

1866 – 1870 William Goodall

1871           Mr John U.Ash – retired schoolmaster

1872           C.Smith Esq.

1873 – 1874 Empty

1875           Mrs Phipps

1876           Empty

1877 – 1878 Mrs Groombridge

1879           Mr Beauchamp

1880 – 1882 Mrs Mary King –governess of ladies school, Palmerston House

1883           Empty

1884 – 1889 J.J.Tuff - grocer

1890 – 1913 J.J.Tuff & Son – dealers in works of art

1914 – 1919 Ramsden Brothers – wholesale stationers

1920           William Stewart – antiques

1921 – 1929 Mrs E.Tomlinson

1922            R.O.Gosden – The Butterfly Shop

1923 – 1926 Alfred James – watch-maker    


No.13A only.

1921           Maude Le Quesne – tea rooms

1922 – 1931 A.G.Noakes – St. Anne’s Tea Rooms

1931 – 1940 Charles Albert Tuck – tea rooms


No.13 and 13A combined.

1949 – 1960 A.W.Brown – St. Anne’s Café


Demolished in the late 1960s for the Guildbourne Centre.