High Street No. 11

D4.4  No. 11 High Street.



































Part of the 1852OS map showing No.11 High Street out-lined in pink.





On 20th July 1810 Edward Ogle sold to James Penfold a piece of ground measuring 30 feet north to south and 48 feet east to west together with a house being built by James Penfold. On 9th July 1812 Penfold sold the land, together with a house described as ‘lately erected and built by said James Penfold’, to John Nickles who utilised it as a lodging house before selling it in 1829. Over the years the house had a number of occupants and was a school for a few years before being taken over by Potter Bailey & Co. in 1914 and combined with No. 9 High Street adjoining on the south (see D4.5). It was sold to Worthing Corporation on 8th October 1962 and later demolished for the Guildbourne Centre.  









































Illustration of No. 11 High Street (centre)

[date uncertain, probably late 19th century].



Owners/Occupants list.

1804 – 1810 Edward Ogle – piece of kitchen garden land only

1810 – 1812 James Penfold

1822 – 1826 Edward Pescott ?

1827            Mrs Sharp ?

1828            Empty

1829 – 1832 William Borrer

1832 - ?       Dr. Grimstone

1836 – 1838 David Brandon (executor for Dr. Grimstone)

1841           Thomas Baker ? - ironmonger

1846 – 1862 James L.Rolfe – retired pianoforte maker

1861           Mary A.Rolfe – pianoforte seller.

1866 – 1872 Admiral John Lyons

1873 – 1874  Mrs Lyons

1875 – 1876 Mr A.Hughes

1877 – 1882 Empty

1883 – 1886 G. Le Masurier Spurgeon – Young Gentlemens’ School

1890           Mrs Corney

1891           Adolphus Corney - builder’s foreman

1891           Henry L Young - Lt Colonel Bengal Infantry, retired (lodger)

1891 – 1913 W.P.Porter Esq. – house named Steyne Mansion

1914 – 1966 Potter Bailey & Co.

 

House sold to Worthing Corporation on 8th October 1962 and demolished after 1966 for the Guildbourne Centre.


Westsussexpast.org.uk - P006498