High Street Nos. 7 & 5

D5.1 Nos. 7 & 5 High Street.


























Part of 1852OS map showing Nos. 7 & 5 High Street.





























No.5 & 7 High Street on the left showing that the original colonnade has

been removed, surviving only as a porch and balcony to Nos. 5 & 7  

[Warwick House – Notable Houses of Worthing No.5, Henfry Smail, 1952, p60].  


No. 7 High Street (originally No.3 The Colonnade).

This property was sold to Mary Lindup by Edward Ogle on 23rd November 1803. In  1821 the house was described as a lodging house and owned by Mrs Lindup. Mary Lindup died in 1832 and under her will the property was inherited by her daughter Sarah Lindup who died in 1856 and her will left it to Clara Cutler. It is interesting to note that the Hide Survey of 1838 records the property as a ‘house and shop’, the shop no doubt was a work-shop which faced Ann Street at its junction with High Street (see advert below).
























An advert for John Miller who occupied No.7 between 1888 and 1891

and which clearly records a workshop in Ann Street.


It is likely this shop is in the same location as that shown on the 1974 photograph below.

































A photograph of February 1974 showing the north end of

No. 7 High Street on the right with its shop facing Ann Street.


From 1919 the property appears to have contained up to five furnished apartments/flats at various times and all those occupants recorded in the Directories are listed below.


Occupants list.

1803 – 1826 Mary Lindup

1826 – 1856 Thomas Blake

1861            Henry Miles – butcher

1862           James Miles

1866 – 1871 Charles Hide – architect

1872 – 1874 Empty

1875 – 1877 J.Neale

1878           Mrs Richard

1880 – 1886 B.Hutchinson Esq. – solicitor

1881           E.F.Sheppard – schoolmaster

1881           Harriett J.Massey – home property

1888 – 1891 John Mills – bootmaker

1892           Empty

1894 – 1903 Randolph Marriott – headmaster, School of Science and Art

1905           W.Harding

1907 – 1909 Miss E.E.Goldsmith

1912 – 1913 Misses Monger and Stone

1914 – 1916 Mrs G.R.Hill

1917 – 1918 Mrs Burgess

1919 – 1921 Mrs Hedger – furnished apartments

1921 – 1922 John Lewis

1922 – 1923 George Guyatt

1924 – 1925 R.C.Turnham – estate agent and surveyor

1924 – 1926 John Christmas

1924 – 1926 John Costigan

1924 – 1925 E.W.Hodges

1924 – 1925 George Parker

1926           Edward Tilley

1926           Mrs L.Greenfield

1926           Francis & Co. – income tax recovery agent

1927           A.W.Cooper

1927           Albert F.Lomax

1927           T.Woolgar

1927 – 1929 Louis J.Lardent – osteopath

1927 – 1929 Mrs Poore

1928           Henry Pollington

1928 – 1929 Mrs Palmer

1930 – 1931 J.S.Ramshay – commercial artist

1930 – 1931 Francis A.Silsby

1930 – 1931 Michael Cocozza

1930 – 1931 Arthur Blackburn

1931 – 1940 Alpha Employment Agency

1931 – 1932 Elkan & Elkan – estate agents

1931 – 1932 Mrs L.Partridge

1931 – 1932 ---- Baile

1932 – 1933 W.E.Pryor

1932 – 1933 V.M.Williams

1933 – 1934 P.Wells

1933 – 1934 W.Jacques

1922 – 1934 Sunny Worthing Day by Day

1934 – 1937 Madame Sandra – clairvoyante

1934 – 1935 Mrs N.Wells

1934 – 1935 W.Blair

1934 – 1935 Dandy Advertising Service

1935 – 1936 Mrs Branston

1935 – 1937 Worthing Press

1936 – 1937 Bertie Williams

1936 – 1940 Miss Thomas

1936 – 1940 Miss Johnson

1937 – 1940 Henry Percival Weller – dental mechanic

1937 – 1938 Percy Williams

1939 – 1940 Mrs E.Phillips

1939 – 1940 Jarvis & Son – estate agents

1949           Barnard Tucker & Son– estate agents

1949           Searles (Radio) – radio engineer

1949 – 1951 Russell & Hobden Ltd – building contractors

1951 – 1953 W.Hartree Ball – solicitor

1953           County Pistons & Components

1953 – 1958 R.Gillfillan & Co Ltd – export agents

1956           Mrs S.B.Gatland – New Domestic Agency

1956 – 1964 Miss Stella Pickering – dress agency

1958 – 1969 The Secretarial & New Domestic Employment Agency

1964 – 1966 B.Hall Weir – hairdresser

1964 – 1969 The Secretarial Agency – secretarial offices

1968 – 1975 Express Dental Repair Service



No. 5 High Street (originally No. 2 The Colonnade).

In 1821 this property is recorded as a Lodging house in the ownership of Mr Flint of London. Rate books reveal that he had been the owner from at least 1818 until 1828. By the time the Hide Survey was produced in 1838 John Wood was both owner and occupier. He died on 1st October 1841, aged 70 and the property passed to his wife Ann who lived in the property until her death on 2nd June 1860. Between 1862 and 1877 Charles Hide, an architect, was owner/occupier. Following the fire of 1888, which severely damaged the property, it was not occupied until 1890 when it became the Alexandra Agency run by a Miss Ellis. Over the following years there were numerous occupants recorded in local Directories which have been included in the list following this article.

Ironically in 1960, some 72 years after the disastrous fire of 1888, the cry of ‘fire’ was again heard, but this time at No.5 High Street. The fire had started in some newspapers in the British Railway’s lost property saleroom that was housed in the lower floors of the property. While Mr Charles Cornish, the manager of the saleroom, tried with bowls of water to stop the flames spreading, Mrs Ledlie from the flat above gave the alarm as the fire spread to clothing and other equipment. A painter and his mate working next door ran in to help, having been told that there was an old lady on the top floor, but the flames and smoke were so dense they could not get very far into the building. Meanwhile the Fire Brigade had arrived and an escape ladder was pitched to the fourth floor window and the 79 year old lady, Miss Dinn, was passed through the window by the Station Officer and carried to safety down the escape ladder. With six appliances in attendance from Worthing, Lancing, East Preston and Shoreham the fire was under control in less than an hour. The lost property room and the flat above and their contents were gutted but the fire was prevented from spreading further. The damage to the building was rectified and the rooms refurbished and in 1963/64 the author of this article (R.Kerridge) and his wife occupied the top two floors (above the lost property room) for nine months.
































1960 fire at No.5 High Street.

[By courtesy of the Worthing Herald]

Owners/occupants list.       

1802 - ?       Edward Ogle

1818 – 1828 Mr.Flint of London

1838 – 1841 John Wood

1842 – 1860 Ann Wood

1861            Ellen Hide – architect’s wife

1862 – 1877 Charles Hide – architect

1878 – 1879 Empty

1880 – 1882 Mr E.F.Sheppard

1883 – 1885 Miss Miller – ladies school

1886 – 1889 Empty (damaged by fire in 1888)

1890 – 1891 Miss Ellis – Alexandra Agency

1891           James Baker - bootmaker

1892 – 1894 Mr M.Mahler

1896           Mrs Keevil – teacher of dancing

1898           Mrs K.Blaker

1901 – 1902 Mrs K.Holt

1904           Robert Montague

1907           Mrs Williams

1908           Miss Gutteridge (or Gutheridge ?)

1909 – 1915 Miss A.E.Williams – costumier

1920 – 1923 Misses C. & M.Sprake

1923 – 1927 P.M.Childs

1928 – 1929 Miss Wightman – Ann’s Parlour

1930 – 1940 Elaine – costumier

1930 – 1931 Mrs Butcher

1931 – 1934 Mrs C. Hopkins

1931 – 1933 W.Lintott & Son – coal merchants

1933 – 1934  Nurse Gaines

1934 – 1935 W.Blair

1934 – 1936 Mrs Saunt

1934 – 1960 Miss Mabel Dinn

1934 – 1940 Miss G.M.Tribe

1935 – 1936 J.Christmas

1936 – 1937 A.Humphries

1936 – 1937 Mrs Sutton

1937 – 1951 Miss Dalton

1940 – 1953 Misses Oliver & West – gowns

1940 – 1953 Mrs Searle

1949 – 1951 Mrs Hazard

1951 – 1953 Mrs Hunt

1956 – 1958 Mrs Trimmer

1953            Mrs De Bruijn

1957            Miss E.M.Dunning

1958 – 1962 High Street Foot Clinic

1960            Albert Ley

1962            Mrs Money

1962 – 1969 Charles Cornish – manager of British Railway’s Lost Property Office

1963 – 1964 R.Kerridge

1964 – 1974 J.W.Sawkins – chiropodist

1975           C.Basby

1975           Ann’s Dress Agency

AC