High Street Nos 74-72

D7.2 Nos. 74 & 72 High Street.




























Part of the 1852OS map showing Nos. 74 & 72 High Street out-lined

in pink with the combined property boundaries out-lined in green.


Originally these properties shared a large garden at the rear or east (see map above). A survey of the property carried out on 5th April 1922 records  ‘This is an old double-fronted cottage facing west on to the High Street to which it has a frontage of about 30 feet 3 inches.’ The survey also showed there were 4 bedrooms on the upper floors (two without fire places) with a loft above. On the ground floor were 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, scullery and WC.


In 1821 two occupants are recorded in the property, William Matthews and William Best. Edward Snewin, in his book Glimpses of Old Worthing (p.147), recalls that the house ‘was occupied by Mr Richard Pellett, a whitesmith and gunsmith. He was a man who could turn his hand to almost anything, from making a saucepan to repairing a clock’.

Although Snewin does not refer to any other occupants in the building, from the 1838 Hide Survey onwards all other records indicate there two tenements under one roof with occupants/families in each until 1887. From 1882 local Directories record the building as No.74 & 72 High Street until 1887 and after when it appears to have only one occupant or family. Between 1895 and 1922 No.72 is no longer listed and the property is thereafter shown only as No.74.


Surviving photographs taken in the early 1960s appear to show only one central front door (see below), although the building may have been altered in the late 1880s.




























A photograph taken on 20th February 1964 shows No.74 & 72

High Street (the smaller building on the left).


From 1923 the garden was being utilised as a builder’s yard/works and an outbuilding in the yard was numbered No.72 High Street (see map below).
























Map showing the re-numbering of Nos.74 & 72 High Street to No.74 (outlined in green) and No.72 being transferred to an outbuilding in the yard (outlined in blue).  


Occupants list.

No.74.

1818 – 1821 William Matthews

1838 – 1846 Richard May – bricklayer

1851           Sarah May – knitter

1851 – 1866 Henry Binstead

1882           G.Searle

1883 – 1886 Mrs E.Hedger

[No.74 now includes No.72]

1887 – 1888 Mr Rutter – sweet shop

1889 – 1894 George Walter Brown – bricklayer

1895           H.Botting – dairyman

1896 – 1897 Nurse Hains

1898 – 1901 Albert Standing – stonemason

1902 – 1908 John Dartnell

1909 – 1912 Harry James

1913 – 1918 Edward John Collins – florist

1919           Mrs Collins – florist

1947 – 1948 ?

1949 – 1953 Donald V.Nutman

1954 – 1974 J.Dillistone Ltd. –store.


No.72.

1821 – 1882 Richard Pellett –[possibly father followed by son]

1883 – 1886 Mrs Pellett

[now included with No.74]


Re-numbered No.72 and yard.

1923 – 1972 J.Dillistone Ltd. – builders works

1951 – 1972 J.Dillistone Ltd. – yard

1928 – 1949 Stephen Backshall – upholsterer.




www.westsussexpast.org.uk - P005455