High Street Nos 70-66

D7.3 Nos.70 – 66 High Street.
























Part of the 1852OS map showing Nos.70 – 66 High Street

(outlined in pink) and the property boundary (outlined in green).



In the 1821 census this property was described as a house and garden which was owned and occupied by Mr Jeremiah Elliott. Edward Snewin, in his book Glimpses of Old Worthing (p.146) recalls that in 1820 this property was indeed a house and workshop belonging to Mr Jeremiah Elliott, a plumber and glazier and that ’the building had also been very much altered since Mr Elliott’s time’. His book also refers to the house as Nos. 68 & 66. The Hide Survey of 1838 also records the property as two tenements and later Rate Books and other records prior to 1870 also support this.


By 1870 local Directories show the property as three tenements (Nos.70-66) up until around 1969, after which they were demolished and their sites were later covered by the Safeway Supermarket (now Waitrose).


The alterations to this house and re-numbering have caused difficulties in compiling the occupants’ lists from the various records, several of which do not record the house number at all. Every attempt has been made to compile accurate lists, but it is possible that a few occupants may have been incorrectly placed (see lists below photograph).


























A photograph taken on 23rd July 1968 which shows Nos.70 – 66

High Street (on the left) a few years before their demolition.


Occupants lists.

A single house ?

1819 – 1828 Jeremiah Elliott – plumber and glazier

1836           Elizabeth Elliott


Now two houses numbered 68 and 66.

No.68.

1838           Henry Snewin

1846           Thomas Collier

1850 – 1862 Charles Birch (or Burch)

1866 – 1869 Mark Benn – drill inspector


No.66.

1838 – 1862 Elizabeth Elliott – plumber (Independent in 1861)


Now three houses numbered 70, 68 and 66.

No.70.

1870           Mark Benn – drill sergeant

1871 – 1880 ?

1881 – 1888 Mr R.Humphrey – stonemason

1889           Mr T.Lock

1890           Mr Allcorn

1891 – 1892 Stephen Parker

1893 – 1894 G.Hammond

1895 – 1897 G.Brown – bricklayer

1898 – 1901 Mrs Tribe

1902 – 1903 Albert Hide

1904           Richard Novell

1905 – 1906 Albert March

1907 – 1926 Miss Holmes

1921           Bostel Bros.

1927 – 1931 Miss Pitt

1932           Mrs Forse

1933 – 1934 H.Frayne

1935 – 1936 William Jacques

1937 – 1938 Joseph Scott

1939 – 1940 Joseph Hughes

1941 – 1950 ?

1951 – 1962 Josiah Davies.


No.68.

1870 – 1877 Miss Piper – milliner

1878 – 1879 ?

1880 – 1881 George Cracknell – fish dealer

1882           Empty

1883 – 1894 G.Hammond – fishmonger

1895 – 1905 George Walter Brown – huilder

1906           Empty

1907 – 1909 L.Von Der Heyde

1910 – 1915 Jesse Blann – shopkeeper

1916 – 1921 George Hammond – fishmonger

1922 – 1924 Miss E.Shoulders – confectioner

1925 – 1927 George Hammond

1928 – 1940 Alfred James – watchmaker

1941 – 1948 ?

1949           Geer & Son Watchmakers

1950 – 1952 ?

1953 – 1969 R.J.Blossett – The Old Bookshop


No.66.

1870 – 1877 Mr R.Piper – upholsterer

1878 – 1888 Not listed

1889 – 1894 G.Hammond

1895 – 1897 Empty

1898 – 1905 George Walter Brown – builder

1906           Empty

1907 – 1909 L.Von Der Heyde

1910 – 1915 Jesse Blann – shopkeeper

1916 – 1930 George Hammond – fishmonger

1931 – 1934 Mrs Hammond

1935           W.Crowhurst – dining rooms

1936           W.Crowhurst – bed & board

1937 – 1940 John Frayne – bed & board

1941 – 1945 ?

1946           George Sidney Field

1947 – 1948 ?

1949 – 1966 Willaim Harling – showcard writer

1967 – 1968 ?

1969           Raymond Blossett.


RK