High Street No. 30 & 28

D10.4  Nos.30 & 28 High Street.























Nos. 30 & 28 High Street in 1984.


This site was originally part of the old manor of St. John’s, Lancing and by 1778 had been acquired by John Mitchell from John Newland and on which Mitchell had built a house and garden for his brother Thomas Mitchell (see sketch map below).




























Site of Nos.30 and 28 High Street in c1780 outlined in green,

 with Thomas Mitchell’s house (now No.30) outlined in pink.

By 1790 John Mitchell built a butcher’s shop on the site and after his death in 1794 the property passed to his nephew John Mitchell. In 1810 a James Mitchell is shown as the owner and he had sold it to John Pullen, a butcher of Worthing. This house and shop appears to be No.30 which is shown in Phillip’s 1814 map of Worthing (see below) as there is a gap shown where No.28 High Street appears on later maps (shown in blue).








































Part of Phillips 1814 map of Worthing showing No.30 High Street

outlined in pink and a gap marking the site of later No.28 (shown in blue).

  

The Hide survey of 1838 shows the gap had been filled some time between 1814 and 1838 when No.28 was built adjoining No.30. The re-numbering of properties in High Street occurred on several occasions over the years and has made the accurate identification of properties and their occupants very difficult. However, the 1852OS map below clearly shows both properties, which at that time, were numbered 10 (later No.30) and 8 (later No.28).  
































Part of the 1852OS map showing Nos. 30 & 28 High Street

outlined in pink with their approximate boundaries in green.


The smaller building adjoining the rear of No.30 may well be the original butcher’s shop built by John Mitchell in 1790 (see photograph below), although there has, no doubt, been renovations and modifications over the years.

























No.30 High Street marked ‘H.WILSON & SON’ and showing a smaller

building at the rear. Nos. 30 & 28 High Street still survive today (2012).

Occupants Lists.

The numbers recorded for these two properties in the local Directories are very confusing and they show that No.10 High Street became No.30 in 1882 and then No.30A in 1920. However, in 1899 a No.30A appeared but was renumbered No.30 in 1920. No.8 High Street became No. 28 High Street in 1882 with a No.28A appearing in 1926 for two years only. As it is not possible to determine from the Directories how the buildings were divided, the occupants are listed as recorded in the Directories.


No.30. (was No.10 until 1882) and then No.30A from 1920.

1778 – 1794  Thomas Mitchell ?

1795 - ? John Mitchell

1810   James Mitchell

c1810 – 1828 John Pullen – butcher

1838  Empty

1841  ?

1851  Empty

1861  Eliza Kootz – governess

1862  Adam Bearman

1866  Robert & Alfred Turner

1870 – 1877 Robert Turner – linen draper & outfitter

1878 – 1888 John Hambrook – outfitter

1886 – 1891 W.Pullen – coachman

1891  Kinsett & Whitehead – drapers

1892 – 1893 Miss B.Kinsett – draper

1894 – 1899 W.Parker – grocer

1900 – 1902 Miss Harris

1903 – 1908 Mrs Mitchell

1909 – 1911 F.G.Pound – wholesale grocer

1912 – 1928 Charles Grinyer – general dealer

1929 – 1940 H.Grinyer – general dealer

1946  T.R.Hayden – antique dealer

1949  Pandora Woodland Furniture

1951  Cecil Lines – antique dealer

1953  Gerald Neale – booksellers


No.30A (re-numbered 30 in 1920).

1899 – 1951 W.J.Polwin

1953  T.R.Hayden


Nos.30 & 30A.

1956 – 1975 Harold Wilson Antiques.


No.28. (was No.8 until 1882).

In the 1838 Hide Survey this property was occupied by Edward Purser whose name can be traced back to 1818 in the early local Rate Books for High Street, but with no number for the property shown. This perhaps indicates the property may have been built as early as 1818. As Edward Purser has not been found in any other property in High Street for these dates, he has been placed in No.28 in the following list of occupants until further research determines otherwise.


1818 – 1838 Edward Purser

1851  Empty

1861 – 1862 George Palmer

1866 – 1878 Walter Wood

1879  Empty

1880 – 1881 Bushby’s Nursery Gardens

1882 – 1888 J.Hambrook – outfitter

1889  Empty

1890 – 1894 James Osborne – coal merchant’s manager

1895 – 1899 Mr J.Peters – packer

1900  James Peters – carman

1901 – 1911 J.Peters & Co

1912 – 1913 Wilfred Peters – carman

1914 – 1920 Wilfred Peters Removals

1921 – 1928 W.Peters Express Laundry

1929 – 1936 Albert G.Butler

1937 – 1940 Walter Ainsworth

1937 – 1975 Harold Wilson Antiques


No.28A High Street.

1926 – 1928 P.Broadwood – wireless engineer.






























Nos. 30 and 28 High Street in 1963.


AC

AC

www.westsussexpast.org.uk - P005438