High Street No. 36 & 34

D10.2 Nos. 36 & 34 High Street.





























Nos.36 & 34 High Street in July 1963.




























Site of Nos.36 & 34 High Street in c1780.

Originally the site of Nos. 36 & 34 High Street was part of the land of the old manor of St.John’s, Lancing. By 1778 the site had been sold by John Newland to John Mitchell who built two houses with small gardens on it, one for himself (later the site of Nos.36 & 34) and the other for his brother Thomas Mitchell (No.30 High Street – see D10.4). The sketch map of the site as it was in circa 1780 is shown above with the site of the later Nos. 36 & 34 outlined in green.


No.36.

John Mitchell died in 1794 and the property passed to his nephew, John Mitchell, and then to a James Mitchell by 1810. It appears that Michael Morrah (who lived next door to the north – see D10.1) purchased the property in circa 1805 and in 1821 he is shown as the owner with the occupants being Edmund Blann and his wife Hannah. Edward Snewin in his book Glimpses of Old Worthing refers to the house as ‘Blann’s Cottage’ and that it was demolished in 1838. A new building was erected on the site (No.36) which, according to Snewin, was built as a consulting room and surgery for Dr. (William) Harris who married Ellen Morrah, the daughter of Michael Morrah, his partner.

























Part of the 1852OS map showing No. 36 High Street outlined

in pink and the property boundary outlined in green.



The building later became a private residence and had several occupants over the years.

By the end of the 19th century Directories record that the building was converted into ‘Lily House Apartments’. From 1904 the premises became the ‘High Street Dairy’ and a dairy was recorded on the premises until it was demolished in the 1960s.





























No. 36 High Street (small house in centre) showing the wooden entrance

gate to the Dairy (between the house and the Fire Station on left) [July 1963].


Occupants List.

Site of No.36 (Mitchell’s old house).

1778 – 1794 John Mitchell

1795 - 1810 John Mitchell (nephew of above)

1810           James Mitchell

1821           Edmund Blann

1838  Property demolished.


No.36 [New house].

1838 – 1841 Dr William Harris

1850 – 1851 John Holmes Perry – general practitioner

1861 – 1866 Harvey Goble

1870           Mrs Goble

1871 – 1876 Joseph Russell – photographer

1877 – 1881 Mr J.Fielder – photographer

1882 – 1883 J.Fielder & Co – photographers

1884           W.S.Bennett

1885 – 1886 W.Baker – dairyman

1887 – 1891 Mr Myers – dairyman

1892 – 1893 T.Blewer – Victoria Dairy

1894 – 1895 T.Blewer – fly man

1896 – 1901 F.Blewer – job master

1899 – 1903 Miss J.Comper – Lily House Apartments

1904 – 1907 Pollington & Raggett – High Street Dairy

1915 – 1917 R.Jones – High Street Dairy

1918           J.Henry – Manager of High Street Dairy

1919 – 1928 John Knight – Manager of High Street Dairy

1929 – 1956 John Knight & Sons Dairy

1957           ?

1958 – 1960 E.J.Knight & Sons



























John Knight with his milk cart. He used to walk around the streets

and ladle out the milk into jugs brought out by his customers

[By courtesy of a member of the Knight family].























Advert for Worthing’s only ‘milkmaid’, 1957 [source not known].


No.34 High Street.

The garden of Mitchell’s old house was the site of No.34 (see C1780 sketch map near the start of this section). It appears from the Land Tax lists that the house was built in 1792, as the entries between 1792 and 1804 record ‘Mrs Chaloner for her house’. Edward Snewin, in his reminiscences records that the house was known as ‘Challon’s High House’ in his time. The names are similar enough to identify the house with certainty. In 1899 it was a boarding house known as ‘High View’. The reason for including the word ’High’ in the names are quite apparent when viewing the photograph below!   





























Photograph taken in 1963 showing No.34 High Street (high building on right).




Between 1805 and 1806 the Land Tax lists ‘Mr Morrah late Chaloners’ and in 1821 Michael Morrah is recorded as the owner of the property with Charles Callend as the occupant. The Hide survey of 1838 records the occupant as (Dr) William Harris who probably occupied the building several years previous to 1838, as his consulting room and surgery was built next door in 1836 (No.36) and adjoined his house. The 1852 map below shows the location of the house and its boundaries.






























Part of the 1852OS map showing No.34 High Street outlined

in pink and the property boundaries outlined in green.


By the 1870s the building was described as a lodging house and during the 1880s it was a registry office for a time. From the 1920s until 1960 it was converted into flats and was demolished in the 1960s.


Occupants List.

1792 – 1804 Mrs Chaloner

1805 – 1806 Mr Morrah

1821           Charles Callend

1838           William Harris

1850           ------ Field

1851           Robert Henry Macintosh – retired army officer

1861 – 1866 Edmund Hammond

1870 – 1880 Mrs Cooper – lodging house

1881 – 1883 Mrs Cooper and Mrs Russell – lodging house

1884           Empty

1885 – 1887 Madame Temple – registry office

1888           Madame Temple – the institute

1889           Lady superintendent (no name recorded) – registry office

1890 – 1894 Miss Nelson

1895 – 1897 Empty

1898           Miss Webster

1899 – 1904 Mrs S.Day – ‘High View Boarding House’

1905           H.Burrows

1906           ?

1907 – 1908 C.Seebold

1909 – 1910 Nurse George (matron) – Church Army Home

1911 – 1912 Sister Mary Clark – Church Army Girls Home

1913 – 1914 F.Williams (in charge) – Church Army Girls Home

1915 – 1917 Miss Shackleton (in charge) – Church Army Boarding Home

1918 – 1919 Mrs Price

1918           Mrs Cranshaw

1918 – 1919 Mrs Alexander

1919 – 1924 Miss Houlbrook

1920           Mrs Roberts

1920 – 1921 Nurse Nolan

1921           Charles Cortis Roberts

1922 – 1923 J.L.Toomer

1922           W.Ross

1925           Charles Frederick Pate

1926 – 1930 Arthur Riddles

1926 – 1928 James Buckland

1926           Mr Arsenault

1928 – 1931 George Salmon

1929 – 1930 Mrs Worsfold

1929 – 1930 Mrs N.Knott

1930 – 1931 W.Downer

1931 – 1937 Mrs Reed

1932           I.Ross

1931 – 1932 Mrs Gould

1933           Mrs Shirley

1933 – 1946 Mrs Heffer

1935           A.R.Carver

1937 – 1939 James Quincy

1937           Harry Stovold

1938 – 1939 J.Phillips

1946           Mrs E.Wackett

1946           Mrs H.Melville

1956 – 1960 Cecil Terry

1956 – 1960 Horace Heffer

1956 – 1960 James Greenhault

1956 – 1958 Miss Parsons

1960           Henry Short.


www.westsussexpast.org.uk

www.westsussexpast.org.uk

www.westsussexpast.org.uk