High Street No.26 & Church

D11.1 No.26 High Street and the Free Church.





























No. 26 High Street and the Free Church [February 1984].


No.26.

A building on the corner of Elm Road and High Street is recorded as a shop in the 1902 Directory. By 1930 the building was numbered 26 and 26A and in 1938 a No.26B was added. How this building was divided can not be ascertained from the Directories. Currently it is one building occupied by Jones & Tomlin Ltd who are listed as occupants since 1958 (see below).


Occupants List.

No.26.

1902 – 1909 Charles Arthur – provisions dealer

1910 – 1915 Miss R.Cook – shopkeeper

1916 – 1921 Mrs Worsfold – general shop [Wiltshire House]

1922 – 1923 ?

1924 – 1932  J.Salbstein – wholesale fruiterer

1933 – 1953 Harold Hill – dental surgeon

1934 – 1935 Kays Book Depot

1936           A.Kiernander – bookseller

1938           Harold Wilson Furniture Depot

1958 – 1966 Jones & Tomlin Ltd

1974 – 1975 Jones & Tomlin Ltd (workshops)


No,26A.

1930           Mrs Fisher – costumier

1931           Mrs Worsfold – draper

1932 – 1934 The Minerva Dog Bureau

1935 – 1936 Speed Dry Cleaners

1935           Animal Dispensary

1936           George Fleming Pet Stores   

1937 – 1938 D.Stewart – Animal Dispensary

1938 – 1940 Miss Davey – Animal Dispensary

1946           Manray Ltd – wireless engineers

1949 – 1956 Fairs Furnishing

1958 – 1966 Jones & Tomlin


No.26B.

1938 – 1940 Speed Dry Cleaners

1946 – 1947 R.Wells – cabinet maker

1949           H.W.Hunt & Sons – builders.


Hall and Church.

At the base of the church building is an inscription with the date ‘5th August 1925’ which was probably inserted when building work commenced. At the top of the church building is an inset white stone. Although weathered, the date 1926 is still just visible. Between 1927 and 1940 the building is referred to as ‘St.James Hall’(see below) and listed in Directories under ‘non-conformist’ church buildings with Pastor S.Henman.







































St. James Hall on a post card dated 1926

The post card of the hall is the smaller building on the left hand side of the church (see photograph at the start of D11.1).


Between 1946 and 1970 the building was listed as ‘St. James Evangelical Free Church’ and later between 1971 and 1975 as ‘Worthing Evangelical Free Church’. This name still applied in 1984 when the photograph at the start of D11.1 was taken, but by 1991 when the photograph shown below was taken, the church had been converted into a restaurant named ‘Cloisters’.




























A photograph of the ‘Worthing Evangelical Free Church’ after it was converted into a restaurant named ‘Cloisters’. The black boards on the steps advertise the food and drinks available.  [Photograph taken in September 1991].


The building currently survives and being used as a cocktail bar and restaurant.


AC

AC

AC