High Street Nos. 8-4

D11.2  Nos. 8 – 4 High Street.


































A photograph of February 1974 after No.8 High Street had been demolished

(see gap between church and Nos.6 & 4 High Street - the lower three-storey building). The taller building on the corner of High Street (opposite The Steyne

is part of Warwick Mansions and listed under ‘The Broadway’ , Brighton Road.

 


No. 8 High Street.

This building is first recorded in the 1923 Directory as ‘Broadway Lodge’ and occupied by two different opticians for about 30 years. Between 1956 and 1973 it was recorded as ‘Broadway House’ and occupied by carpet retailers. It was demolished in 1974.


Occupants List.

1923 – 1930 A.E Pugh – consulting optician

1931 – 1951 A.B.Voysey – optician

1952 – 1955 ?

1956 – 1973 Walker Brothers Carpets.


































A photograph of February 1984 showing the modern building erected on

the site of No.8 High Street and ‘Glovers cars’ still operating in Nos.6 & 4.


Nos. 6 & 4 High Street.

This semi-detached building was erected around 1926 and occupied by 1927. Although there were two separate businesses operating in the building in earlier years, by circa 1950 the properties were combined and occupied by a single commercial enterprise.


Occupants List.

 No.6.      

1927 – 1928 Falles Garage

1930 – 1936 Percival Falle – motor cycle dealer

1938 – 1951 H.Chambers – Chambers Hire & Drive Service


No.4.

1934 – 1936 E.D.Iles – snack bar

1937 – 1946 Mrs A.Walker – snack bar


Nos. 6 & 4 combined.

1953           Chambers garage

1956 – 1975 Glovers Cars Ltd.


A shop currently survives in Nos. 6 & 4 and is named ‘Bath-Scene’.

 


AC

AC